Reconnecting To Your Past Clients and Your Sphere Of Influence
- Past Clients
- To re-establish communication and begin the process of nurturing lifetime relationships.
- To inform your past clients of your business philosophy.
- Sphere of Influence
- Your “Sphere of Influence” is the group of people who know you, like you, and trust you, and who have not yet used your consulting services.
- To establish communication with friends, family, acquaintances, and professional colleagues who are not, nor have ever been, clients.
- To remind or inform recipients of your business philosophy.
- Past Clients
- Invites recipients to contact you.
- Sets expectations for consistent future communication.
- Increases the opportunity for repeat business and referrals.
- Sphere if Influence
- Establishes connections with a potential source of referral business – your sphere of influence.
- Invites recipients to contact you and sets expectations for future communication from you.
- Strengthens relationships and creates referral opportunities.
STEPS TO SUCCESS
The best way to learn and implement this strategy is to review the information twice:
- First to understand the overall process.
- Then to follow the instructions step by step.
- Prior to implementing this strategy, we recommend that you clean and segment your database.
- Schedule time to work on your Reconnect Letter.
- In myClients click “Settings” to access the letter template.
- Customize red text (if any) with your personal information.
- Preview the letter.
- Save your changes.
- Click “ClientTouch” to select and mail merge your letter.
- Mail-merge the letter with the selected names and addresses of people in your database.
- Print each letter on stationery. (Do not use business letterhead.)
- Sign each letter by hand.
- Hand-address the matching envelopes.
- Apply first-class postage and mail the letters.
Track your results.
- Follow up your letter with a value-added phone call using the Permission to Follow Up Script:
- The reason I’m calling is I’d like to stay in more frequent communication with you. (pause) And, I would like permission to send a few things to you every month. And then, I’ll check back with you in about 60 days to see if what I’m sending you has enough value that you’d like to continue to receive it.
- Schedule sufficient time to put together at least one monthly mailing so you can follow through on your commitment to keep in touch. Call your Coach to discuss the best strategies to implement next.
TIPS AND CAUTIONS
- Handwrite the addresses on your envelopes; people are far more likely to open handwritten envelopes.
- Handwrite a personal note in the margin of the letter (trashing) to personalize your letter further.
- When you say you’ll be in touch regularly, you must keep your word in order to be referable.
- The best mindset for implementing this strategy is, “Since people who already know, like, and trust me make up my sphere of influence, I’d much rather work with them and their referrals than with strangers coming from un-referred sources.”
- If you’re new to the business, we suggest you change the first line of this letter to read, “It is now my pleasure…”
- Recipients acknowledge your reconnection by telephoning, emailing, or speaking to you in person.
- You receive referrals.
- First-class postage.
Take advantage of the creativity and experience of other By Referral Only Community members by networking with colleagues at member events and workshops. New ideas from these consultants can enhance your comfort and flexibility with this strategy.